St Lazarus’ Park
The heart of modern Ourense: its economic and commercial life is organized around it. Its beautiful central fountain comes from the Monastery of Oseira.
This park that has become the epicentre of modern Ourense; in its surroundings, next to the administrative buildings, takes places the main trade and economic activity of the city. It was once part of the hospital for pilgrims or lazaret, from which it takes its name, indicating that this site was away from the city centre. Associated with it was here a chapel in honor of St. Lazarus, which was later moved to the neighborhood of O Peliquín. Today is here the Franciscan Church, moved from its original location on top of the city in 1929.
The park was also for a time the fairgrounds, a large extension. New buildings reduced it gradually, especially with the construction of Civil Government (nowadays the Sub-Delegation of the Governement) and the Ourense Tower (Antonio A. Renlein, 1968), for years a symbol of the city. Today it occupies a square on two levels, organized in streets with benches in the shade of many trees. At its core stands a monumental Baroque fountain, from the Cistercian monastery of Oseira. There are two children playgrounds separated by age.
St Lazarus’ Park is the heart of modern Ourense, always bustling. It has spaces with curious statues dedicated to some iconic characters of the city.
The park concentrates a number of sculptures, some of them really curious. At the top we can see a funny character with a black beret reading a newspaper: he is O Carrabouxo, star of a humour strip by cartoonist Xosé Lois published daily in the local press since 1992. The sculpture is the work of César Lombera (1992).
At the bottom, in a corner there is a tribute to the Ourense Rallye, with its promoters sitting on the mythical Alpinche car (Ramón Conde, 2006). In the other, a reminder of the role of women in traditional crafts, a beautiful Castiñeira or chestnut seller, by Xosé Cid (2001). In the centre, just opposite the Sub-Delegation, the older statue of the Angel, by Franscico Asorey, from 1951.